To enjoy your delicious free range turkey with friends and family just follow these simple cooking tips.
- Rinse turkey carefully inside and out. Pat turkey dry with paper towel.
- If you wish to stuff your turkey, stuff it just before cooking. Stuff the turkey loosely with cool stuffing, and secure the opening with a skewer.
- Rub the turkey with oil or butter. You may like to cover the legs and wings with foil to stop them browning too fast.
- Place turkey in an oven preheated to 180°C (slightly lower if using a fan forced oven). Calculate the cooking times based on 40 minutes cooking time per kilo. When calculating cooking times you need to use the final weight of the stuffed turkey.
- Baste the turkey regularly with cooking juices to help keep the turkey moist.
- Remove foil from wings and legs 30 minutes before the turkey is cooked.
- As cooking appliances vary, you may need to adjust the final cooking time. To check that the turkey is cooked, insert a skewer into the turkey and the juices should run clear and the skin should be crispy.
- For best result allow your turkey to rest for 10 minutes before carving.